H-TEC's PEMFC Kit contains a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEMFC) that can be completely disassembled specially for education and research purposes. The PEM fuel cell can run in Hydrogen/oxygen or hydrogen/air operation modes. All the tools needed for assembly are included!
In a fuel cell, chemical energy is converted directly into electrical energy, i.e. without use of a combustion process. Hydrogen and oxygen supplied from outside the process react to form water, generating electrical current and heat in the process. The oxygen can be supplied in pure form, or in the form of air.
• Cathode: 4e- → 4H+ + O2 → 2H2O
• Anode: 2H2 → 4H+ + 4e-
• Complete Reaction: 2H2 + O2 → 2H2O
• Power in Hydrogen and Oxygen Mode: 500 mW
• Power in Hydrogen and Air Mode: 180 mW
• Electrode Area: 16 cm²
• Generated Voltage: 0.4 - 0.96 V DC
• Short Circuit Proof
• Requires Commercial distilled (deionised) water with a conductivity of < 2 μS/cm
• Dimensions (H x W x D): 3.9" x 3.14" x 3.07" (98 x 80 x 78 mm)
• Weight: 8 oz (225 g)